Selling Your Business – Plan Well, with a Tax Benefit When You Retire
The reasons why a business owner might decide to sell their business are many – perhaps to pursue a new or more exciting business opportunity, relocation, health reasons or retirement. Selling a business to family, to the other partners, to a loyal employee or a group of employees could also be part of a succession plan; or the business owner’s exit strategy may involve selling to an outside buyer, perhaps a competitor, a supplier, or a customer, or even an investor.
Whatever the reason for selling, a smooth transition requires:
- Planning well and in advance,
- Determining a fair value for the business,
- Getting books, accounting records and financial reports in order,
- Collating the required paperwork,
- Managing stakeholder relations, and
- Exercising a legal duty of care.
The outcome of this approach is a business sale to the right buyer at the right price, with little to no disruption to business operations and no negative impact on staff morale or other stakeholder relationships.